How to get a boat licence


certified-of-sailing-in-hong-kongYou’ll need a Grade II Pleasure Vessel Operator’s Licence (PVOL) for boats up to 45 feet long, or the tougher Grade I for larger vessels. Getting a Grade II certificate means passing two multiple-choice exams: Masters and Engineers. There’s an excellent book, “Pleasure Vessel Operator’s Handbook: A Complete Guide to the Pleasure Vessel Operator’s Licence” by N.J. Robinson, which contains pretty much everything you need to know. Pick up a copy at the RHKYC’s Ship Shop, Kellett Island, Causeway Bay. Regular courses in both the Masters and Engineers sections are held at Hebe Haven Yacht Club.